If you’re a garden owner in Perth, understanding the watering schedule and regulations is important for maintaining a healthy and green landscape. The Water Corporation manages water resources in Western Australia and has implemented watering days and restrictions to ensure sustainable water usage.
Watering Days in Perth | A Guide for Garden Owners
The Watering Days Roster
The watering days roster in Perth plays a vital role in effectively managing water usage. It divides the week into specific days when watering is permitted for different types of water users. This system ensures fair distribution of water resources among residents. Scheme water users and garden bore water users have to follow specific watering schedules.
Scheme Water Users
If you rely on scheme water, your allocated watering days are determined by your street number. Check the Water Corporation’s website here to determine your watering days.
Garden Bore Water Users
Those with garden bores also need to follow the rules. The Water Corporation encourages bore owners to familiarise themselves with the specific guidelines and abide by them to conserve water efficiently.
Recent Changes for Water Bores
In September 2022, the Water Corporation announced several changes to the watering days roster for garden bore water users. These changes were made in response to the ongoing drought in Western Australia and the need to conserve water resources. The most significant change is that garden bore water users will now be limited to watering on two days per week, instead of three the same as scheme users. This change will take effect from 1 September 2023.
Water Restrictions and Compliance
To ensure responsible water usage, the Water Corporation has implemented water restrictions in Perth. These restrictions aim to reduce excessive water consumption and promote conservation. It is essential for garden owners to be aware of and comply with these regulations.
Permanent Winter Sprinkler Ban
During winter, a permanent sprinkler ban known as the Permanent Winter Sprinkler Ban is in effect. This ban prohibits the use of sprinklers for gardens and lawns from 1 June to 31 August each year.
Optimising Your Irrigation System
To make the most of your allocated watering days and promote water efficiency, optimising your irrigation system is crucial. Here are some tips to consider:
- Regular Maintenance: Ensure that your irrigation system, including sprinklers and controllers, is in good working condition. Regularly inspect for leaks, clogs, or damaged components.
- Watering Time: Water your garden during the designated hours to comply with the watering days roster. This helps minimise water evaporation and ensures maximum absorption by the plants.
- Watering Techniques: Consider using targeted watering techniques such as drip irrigation or drippers, which deliver water directly to the plant roots. This reduces water wastage and promotes healthier plant growth.
- Mulching: Apply a layer of mulch around your plants and garden beds. Mulch helps retain moisture, reduces weed growth, and protects plants from extreme temperatures.
- Reduce Lawn and Garden Size: Consider planting fewer plants and reducing the size of your lawn. This will help you save water while still enjoying a beautiful garden.
- Smart Irrigation Controllers: Upgrade to smart irrigation controllers that adjust watering schedules based on weather conditions. These controllers optimise water usage and can be programmed to comply with watering restrictions.
- Coverage: Ensure your reticulation has really good coverage so there are no dry spots. With limited water available and having to follow strict times and days to irrigate, having a really effective system is a must.
About Retic Renovation
Retic Renovation is a reputable Perth-based company specialising in the installation, repair, and maintenance of irrigation systems. With over 20 years of experience, we are committed to helping our customers save water and improve their gardens. Contact us today for any help with reticulation installation or repairs!
I have over 17 years hands-on experience in both landscaping and reticulation service and I’m extremely competent in problem solving, repairs, installation, and product knowledge.